Realtime Traveller: Year 518, Day 333

Location: Touchdown City, Promise


Cousin Aruda messaged me asking if I was looking for a job. Kinda - I do have 4 weeks to wait for my transport off this spitball. I've booked passage to Persephone and some extra money certainly couldn't hurt. "Perfect!" she said and tagged me with her professor's contact info.

Dr. Yoseph Rudman looked kinda like dad, but skinnier (actually quite fit!) and with more grey hair. Turns out he's Promise's leading Xenoarcheologist and he has a crackpot theory about where the legendary Ancient City has been hiding for the past 500 years. Scientists, fishermen and miners have been pulling their junk out of the ocean almost since Touchdown was founded.

"I need an air/raft pilot and an extra pair of hands for two weeks. I have a grant to survey a portion of the southern polar cap. I assume you are as qualified as your cousin says?" I flashed him my Army discharge papers which included my service ratings. "Looks good. I can pay 500 credits a day, is that OK?" I nodded and my phone tapped out "yes." He flashed 500cr to my phone, "Take this and get some cold weather gear, I have already ordered everything else we need. Get the good stuff and don't forget a full face guard. Meet me at Aero Charters the day after tomorrow, 0900."

"Yes, sir!" I said. He had a distracted look as he signed off.

Illustration by Sparth

System Information:

Primary World      Promise B86A7A9
Starport         B Touchdown City
Size               8 8000 miles diameter, 1.125g
Atmosphere 6 Standard
Hydrology A Archipelago/world ocean
Population 7 10,000,000
Government A Her Exaltedness, Presidente Maria
Law 9 No weapons outside home except active military and police

Tech Level 11

Comments

  1. Cr500/day is some pretty good wages for being an air/raft pilot. A qualified pilot gets Cr200/day assuming 30 days @ Cr6000 flying a multi-million credit ship (based on book 2/starship expenses).


    But an exciting beginning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts